December 8, 2019
Preparations in place to hold Annual Regional Consultative Forum 2019 in Lilongwe, Malawi
MALAWI HOSTS THE ALLPI ANNUAL REGIONAL CONSULTATIVE FORUM 2019
The Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism of Malawi in collaboration with Africa Leather and Leather Products Institute (ALLPI) has organised the 2019 Annual Regional Consultative Forum in Lilongwe from 11th – 13th December 2019 at Bingu International Convention Centre (BICC) in Lilongwe under the theme:“Develop Africa’s Leather Value Chain through research, business linkages and technology transfer”
ALLPI, headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, is an intergovernmental Institution mandated for spearheading the development of the leather sector in Africa in general and in COMESA Sub-Region in particular. Its main prerogative is to assist the private and public leather industries in promoting value addition, productivity, competitiveness, trade and regional integration. The mode of attaining these objectives is through providing technical, technological and information inputs through pooling relevant capacities and capabilities, and mobilizing resources.
This forum is anchored on the Triple Helix Approach of the Private Sector - Government - Academia Partnership and is expected to convene more than 70 international delegates across the globe. The 2019 Consultative Forum aims at:
- Creating opportunity to share the national and regional leather sector success stories (Promote cross fertilization of success models);
- Building consensus towards innovation, quality assurance and their importance for export readiness in reference to recent events;
- Sharing research undertakings by identified players at regional and global level
- Identifying the key challenges and interventions towards achieving sustainable regional leather sector development
- Enhancing the leather tanning industry sustainable production processes, consumption and eco-entrepreneurship
- Designing potential pathway to capacity building and technology transfer from national, regional and global perspectives.
- Discussing the new Strategic Direction of ALLPI being Knowledge based Institution.
Key note speakers at the highly anticipated forum include Honourable Salim Bagus, M.P. Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism and the Executive Director of the Africa Leather and Leather Products Institute, Prof. Mwinyikione Mwinyihija.
The Forum will also feature sector presentations and discussions with leading speakers, SME’s Products show case and sector experts from Africa and globally.
Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism of Malawi, Hon. Ibrahim Salim Bagus said:
“…Malawi considers the leather sector as a strategic sector for both import substitution and export promotion as it holds a strong potential to contribute up to 4% of Malawi’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The country is therefore pleased to host this year’s international forum which is focusing on how best our economies can grow the leather value chain through research and development, business linkages and technology transfer...”
The Regional Consultative Forum brings together a unique mix of stakeholders drawn from the main pillars of policy, business, academia and research from the Africa and abroad. It is a platform for promoting technology transfer and intra and inter trade among various players in the leather value chain. The forum is generating value and trade opportunities among the participants.
The Executive Director of ALLPI, Prof. Mwinyikione Mwinyihija Stated that “Africa is innovating and the introduction of design studios for our SME's is a game changer to the continents leather sector to enhance productivity and competitiveness!"
For more information Contact:
• Ministry of Industry, Trade & Tourism
P. O. Box 30366
Tel: +265 1 770 244
Mobile: +265 884 359 197/+265 996 241 885
• Africa Leather and Leather Products Institute
P.O. Box 2358, Code 1110
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel. +251 911662669