Regional Design Studio (RDS) Project Manager
Africa Leather and Leather Products Institute (ALLPI)’ is an Intergovernmental Chartered Institute whose main mandate is to support the development of the leather sector at continental level. ALLPI’s work contributes directly to the transformation of the Leather Sector in Africa, from the production and export of raw materials to the production and export of manufactured leather and leather products.
The sector holds huge potential for transforming the development landscape in the continent. However, the limited importance in producing value added products has costed the region immensely. One of the major supply constraints faced by the industry in its exports of leather products is the inadequate design capacity.
The RDS is set up as a facility with ability to improve quality and competitiveness of leather products through the transformation of technical and creative design concepts into export standard engineered patterns in the production of footwear and leather goods.
Regional Design Studio (RDS) Project Manager will be responsible for the overall and day to day facilitation of the RDS activities and communications at ALLPI headquarters and with satellite design studios in Member States.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Regional Design Studio (RDS) Project Manager will work under the overall supervision of the Programs Coordinator and in collaboration with all ALLPI Experts.
The duties and responsibilities of the the Regional Design Studio (RDS) Project Manager shall include the following:
- Capacity building of the RDS and Satellite Studios for creative and technical design improvement and operations;
- Build strong linkages between the RDS and Satellite Design Studios by building inter-relational activities with leading outlets in Africa and at global stage;
- Ensure the brands engineering from both RDS and Satellite Design Studio are copyright protected, patented and ownership restored to the SMEs concerned;
- Facilitate strong culture of R&D at the RSD and Satellite Design Studio levels with the realm of Triple Helix;
- Promote sharing of design, fashion and branding knowledge through ALLPI's business processes and systems through:
- The development and management of the RDS Portal;
- Collaborative tools that facilitate sharing of ideas, information and knowledge such as the Intranet, outlook etc.
- Monitor and Evaluate the sharing of design, fashion and branding knowledge among and between satellite design studios and support them in advancing management practices of the same;
- to capture and document new information and knowledge on design of footwear and leather goods in Africa such as the documenting of lessons learnt and best practices and success stories;
- Update and assess design and brand related performance in Member States;
- Visit trade shows and manufacturers;
- Coordinate the showcasing of designs of RDS and satellite design studios at fashion and other trade shows;
- Understand design from a technical perspective, i.e. producing patterns and technical specifications for designs;
- keep up to date with emerging fashion trends as well as general trends relating to colours and shapes;
- Produce reports quarterly, biannually and annually to the Programs Coordinator.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
Advanced Technical qualification relevant to leather and leather products designs and branding;
- 5+ years of experience in leather sector and design and development pattern making and product development of leather goods and footwear;
- Effective written, oral and presentation skills, particularly the ability to present information in a concise yet accurate manner;
- Experience in developing and delivering design knowledge sharing programs with and for different stakeholders and partner organizations;
- Adequate knowledge in CAD/CAM operating system;
- The ability to generate ideas and concepts;
- Technical skills, including pattern cutting and sewing;
- A proactive approach and strong team player;
- Technical Knowledge of Leather Material including but not limited to:
- Species, characteristics and application to product
- Tanning and finishing types, terminology and characteristics
- Embossing, Printing
- Minimums and lead times
- Systems of record
- Interpersonal, communication and networking skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Proficiency in English is a must. Knowledge of one or more COMESA working languages is an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a contract basis for a period of one year, of which the first three months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be renewed subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
The salary attached to the position will be negotiable.
Please submit your applications, attached with relevant testimonials in electronic format before August 31st, 2019 to:
Tigist Hailegiorgis (Mrs.)
Head, Administration, Budget and Finance
Cell Phone: +251911233099
P.O. Box 2358 Code 1110
Click Download the detail information about the post.